émlnknnkmm

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reading, watching, listening

Reading:
I almost finished the second book of the Little House series, Little House on the Prairie. I liked them as a kid, but I appreciate them so much more as an adult. What a beautiful, adventurous but rough life.
 
 
And I just started reading Anne of Green Gables to my daughter. She likes the fact that Anne was adopted.
I can't remember having read the series when I was young,
although they seem to have been translated in Dutch.
My daughter's Dutch isn't good enough to understand
a whole book, so I was lucky to have found a used copy in German.
 
 
***********************************************
  
Watching:
"Sometimes I dream of a tree. The tree is my life. One branch is the man I shall marry, and the leaves my children. Another branch is my future as a writer, and each leaf is a poem. Another branch is a glittering academic career. But as I sit there trying to choose, the leaves begin to turn brown and blow away - until the tree is absolutely bare."
 
The movie tells the story of the complicated relationship between poets Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, who couldn't live with or without each other. The movie received quite a lot of negative reviews, but I think it is worth seeing for Gwyneth Paltrow's performance alone.
 
 
**************************************************
 
Listening:
And this is the audio book I am listening to right now. Charlotte Link is one of Germany's most successful female authors. Im Tal des Fuchses (In the valley of the fox) is a suspenseful, psychological crime novel. It is not Literature with a capital "L", but it is perfect for that half hour in bed before falling asleep.