émlnknnkmm

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Family silver tableware


It has been 3 years since my mother-in-law died. My husband's oldest brother and his family, who lived in the States for years, have come home to live in Luxembourg again and moved into the old farmhouse. Yesterday we had a family BBQ at the house and decided that the time had come to sort things out. My two German sisters-in-law and I sat around the garden table, her beloved family silverware in the middle. I think she looked down upon us from heaven and smiled.

This is what I took home, I am so excited.



How do you call this? Look at the beautiful pattern!





The most beautiful handles.




This seemed to be a normal cutlery set, however after a closer look, we discovered an inscription on the handles. My husband, who did a lot of family tree research, can read this curly script rather well. It says VJ, my late father-in-law's initials. It must have been a gift for either his birth, his baptism or his holy communion. What a treasures to have!

1 comment:

  1. Prachtig! Ik denk ook dat er lachend op jullie neergekeken werd. Ik heb ook zo'n soort tang en ik ben ervan uitgegaan dat dit een tang is om petit fours mee te serveren; een petit fourtang dus. Geniet van jullie nieuwe aanwinsten. Een fijne week!

    ReplyDelete