émlnknnkmm

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Moving to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg


I had just turned 20 and I was working for the sales office of a Luxembourg printing factory in the Netherlands. My boss thought it would be good for me to get to know the factory and the people working there, so I took the train and went to Luxembourg. I spent a nice couple of days and took the train back. And that is where it all began. In the train I met a boy from Luxembourg who studied agriculture in Belgium. Two weeks later he visited me in Holland and from that moment on I travelled to Luxembourg almost every other week. To make a long story short...my father (who was in the army) helped me find a job at NATO and 1,5 years later I packed by bags and moved to the Grand Duchy. That was 25 years ago. We are still married and have 4 children. I have been very homesick in the beginning, but I also felt very proud of myself and very independant. With +/- 600.000 inhabitants (!) Luxembourg (or Lëtzebuerg how they call it) is a great country to live in, especially with children. It is safe, quiet and very green, with an amazing international atmosphere. We still go to Holland now and then to visit family and friends and I love it there, but my home is here, with my family in "Lëtzebuerg".



The 1-room apartment I rented the first year was only a 5-minute-walk away from this amazing historical spot right in the centre of Luxembourg-city.

1 comment:

  1. Oohhh die kazematten, daar zijn wij een paar jaar (nou ja, het lijkt gisteren...) geleden geweest toen de kids daar nog rond wilden rennen. Ik heb zulke leuke herinneringen aan ons bezoek aan Luxemburg en ook stad Luxemburg toen. Fijn dat je er zo naar je zin woont!

    ReplyDelete